Serves: 1-2 Ingredients: Raw chickpeas - 1/2 cup Red chili powder - 1 tsp Asafoetida - 1 pinch Oil - 2 tsp Water - as required Salt - as required Other Seasoning Options: Cajun Creole Mexican Tandoori
Rinse and soak the chickpeas in water overnight. They will more than double in size so make sure to use a deep container and enough water.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Drain the soaked chickpeas.
- Pat them gently with kitchen towel till completely dry. This will help to make them crispy. Discard any skin that separates from the chickpeas, otherwise it will burn in the oven.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix till coated fully. Note that some seasoning blends may burn or taste bitter when cooked for longer times, so you can skip adding them now and sprinkle over the cooked peas hot from the oven later.
- Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet. You can line the sheet with parchment paper to make clean-up easier, but the peas will not stick to the pan.
- Place on middle rack and bake them for 35-40 minutes. Gently shake them around every 10 minutes to cook evenly.
- They will be dark and crunchy when cooked.
- You can add a little lemon juice or coriander leaves once they cone out of the oven for additional flavour.
- Enjoy hot as is.
- Store in an air-tight container and they will stay crunchy for a week or so.