Serves: 2-3 Ingredients: Cooked rice - 2 cups Tomato chutney - 1/4 cup Oil - 1 tsp Salt - as required Optional: Onion - 1 small Garlic clove - 2 Vegetables (peas, carrots, beans etc) - 1 cup Egg - 2
- If you don’t have leftover rice, cook some then fluff and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- If you don’t have tomato chutney, make using this recipe.
- Finely chop onion and garlic is using.
- Wash and cut any additional vegetables into small pieces. You can pre-cook them in steam or boiling water, or use any leftover vegetables from a stir fry etc.
- Beat eggs lightly, if using, with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add chutney and saute till it starts to bubble.
- Add rice and mix well, making sure not to break the grains.
- Add salt as required and mix well.
- Serve hot.
With additional ingredients (use as many or as little as you like):
- Heat oil in a pan. You will need around 2 tbsp, depending on amount of additional ingredients.
- Add onion and garlic and saute till onion starts to become translucent. Add a little salt to speed up cooking. Should take 1-2 mins.
- Add the vegetables and saute till they are cooked through. Time varies depending on veggies used and whether they were pre-cooked.
- Add the tomato chutney and saute till it starts to bubble up. Don’t add any more salt as you would’ve already added when making chutney.
- Add the rice and mix till well combined, but make sure not to break the grains.
- Taste and add salt as required. Make sure to sprinkle fine salt evenly so as to avoid clumps of salt in the rice. You can also dissolve salt in very little water then sprinkle it over the rice and mix.
- Make a small well in the middle of the rice. Add one tsp of oil, then pour in the eggs. Make a runny scrambled egg in the well, then once almost cooked, mix it with the rest of the rice.
- Serve hot as is, or with any side of your choice.