- Rinse and soak chickpeas in water overnight. Chickpeas will more than double in size so place in a deep container with enough water.
- Add chickpeas to pressure cooker along with salt and asafoetida (1 cup peas: 1/2 tsp salt: 1 pinch asafoetida).
- Add enough water to leave about 1/2-inch of excess water above the chickpea level.
- Pressure cook on high for 1 whistle, then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. This will give soft but firm peas. If you want them softer then simmer for a longer time (~12-15 minutes). Too long and they will become mushy.
- Remove from heat and let pressure settle on its own.
- Use peas a required.
- You can reserve the water and use it for making rasam, sambhar, or any other gravy that uses lentils.