Ingredients: Chicken drumsticks - 6 Brine: Water - 3 cups Salt - 1 tsp Marination: Ginger paste - 1 tbsp Red chili powder - 1 tbsp Turmeric powder - 1 pinch Oil - 1 tbsp Salt - as required Yogurt - 1 cup Coating: Flour - 1 cup Red chili powder - 1 tbsp Salt - as required Garlic powder - 1 tsp Oregano - 1 tsp Black pepper powder - 1 tsp Egg - 1 Oil - 1 tbsp
- Brine the chicken by placing the pieces in a bowl. Pour water and salt as measured in ‘Brine‘ and make sure the chicken is fully submerged.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1-3 hours. Since we are only using the legs, we shouldn’t marinate for too long to avoid the chicken absorbing too much salt water.
- After brining, remove from refrigerator. Drain the brine water and pat the chicken dry.
- Combine together all the ingredients under ‘Marination‘ except for the yogurt and form a paste.
- Coat the chicken pieces well with the paste and place back in the bowl.
- Pour the yogurt over and make sure all pieces are coated. Don’t rub it in because this will cause the masala to slip off.
- Cover and refrigerate again for 2-4 hours.
- In two separate dishes, prepare the ‘coating’. In one bowl, add the egg and oil and beat well. In another bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- For each piece of chicken, do the following steps:
- Remove excess yogurt and pat dry gently with kitchen towel. You can also leave it to air dry in the refrigerator if you have enough time.
- Place in the flour dish and coat well. Shake off excess flour.
- Place in egg dish and coat well.
- Place back in flour dish and coat well.
- Arrange in the air-fryer basket.
- Once all pieces are in the air-fryer basket, leave it alone for 10 minutes for the batter to set in.
- Place basket in air-fryer. Cook at 350F for 15 minutes.
- Remove basket and gently rearrange the pieces, flipping them around.
- Place basket in air-fryer. Cook at 350F for another 10 minutes.
- The chicken should be cooked by now and the skin crispy. Test by taking one of the bigger pieces and gently open with a fork. If the inside is still pink, cook for another 2-5 minutes till cooked through.
- Remove from basket and serve hot.