Serves - 2-3 Ingredients: Basmati rice - 1 cup Onion - 1 Tomato - 1 Garlic cloves - 2 Green chili - 4 Peas - 1/2 cup Carrot - 1 Mustard seeds - 1 tsp Cumin seeds - 1 tsp Turmeric powder - 1 tsp Water - 1 1/4 cups Salt - as required Oil - 3 tbsp Other vegetables (optional) - 1 cup Potato Beans Cauliflower Broccoli Bell pepper
- Finely chop tomato and garlic.
- Depending on required spice level, either finely chop the green chili for more spice, or just put vertical slits on them.
- Wash, peel and chop the carrots about the size of peas.
- Chop onion into long thin strips.
- Wash and chop any other vegetables being used into small cubes.
- Heat water separately for adding to rice later.
- Heat oil and mustard seeds in a pressure cooker.
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter for a few seconds.
- Add onion, green chili, and garlic. Adda little salt, and fry till onion becomes translucent.
- Add tomato and turmeric powder. Fry well till tomato becomes mushy.
- Add the remaining vegetables and a little salt and fry til partially cooked.
- Meanwhile, wash the rice till water runs clear.
- Once vegetables are half-cooked, add the rice and mix well.
- Add the hot water and mix well.
- Taste and add salt as required.
- Pressure cook on high for one whistle, then simmer on lowest heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the pressure settle on its own.
- Open lid and fluff the rice gently.
- Serve hot with raita or any other side of your choice.