Serves: 2-3 Ingredients: Beetroot - 2 Onion (optional) - 1 small Green chili - 3 Grated coconut - 1 tbsp Urad dal - 1 tsp Mustard seeds - 1 tsp Asafoetida - 1 pinch Salt - as required Oil - 1 tbsp
- Finely chop onion if using.
- Wash, peel, and chop beetroot into small cubes.
- Put length-wise slits in green chili. For added spice, finely chop the chili.
- Heat oil in a saute pan with mustard seeds.
- Once they crackle, add urad dal and let it turn golden brown.
- Add hing and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onion if using, and green chilis. Add a little salt to speed up cooking. Fry till onion becomes translucent. Should take 1-2 mins.
- Add beetroot and mix well. Add salt as required.
- Cover and cook on low heat till beetroot is fully cooked,stirring occasionally to cook evenly. If it starts to burn without cooking properly, sprinkle a little water and continue cooking. Beetroot will turn a darker red once cooked and feel like a soft carrot when biting. Should take 10-12 mins to cook.
- Mix in grated coconut and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Serve hot as a side for rice.