Makes: 6-7 pakodas Ingredients: Onion - 1 medium Spinach(optional) - 1 cup Bengal gram flour (besan) - 4 tbsp Rice flour - 1 tbsp Salt - as required Cumin seeds - 1 tsp Turmeric powder - 1 pinch Red chili powder - 2 tsp Oil - 2 tbsp
- Slice onion into long thin strips.
- Wash spinach leaves well and chop finely.
- Mix together sliced onion, spinach, and salt in a bowl. Let it rest for 5 minutes for the onion to release some water.
- Add the rest of the other ingredients and mix well.
- No water should be required, but if mixture is too dry and unable to shape into balls, sprinkle very little water and mix.
- Coat the bottom wire of the air fryer basket with a little oil.
- Form small gooseberry-sized lumps and place in basket making sure they don’t touch each other.
- Cook for 7 minutes at 400F.
- Remove basket and turn the pakodas to the other side for even browning.
- Cook for another 8 minutes at 400F. The outside should be crispy and golden brown, with the inside being soft but not mushy.
- Take one pakoda and cut in half. If the inside is still looking very moist, cook for another 2-3 mins at 400F, taking care not to burn them.
- Serve hot as is, or with mint chutney or tamarind chutney, etc.