Serves: 3-4 Ingredients: Spinach leaves - 1 cup Moong dal - 1/2 cup Turmeric powder - 1 pinch Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp Garlic clove - 2 Pearl onion - 3 Cumin seeds - 1 tsp Mustard seeds - 1 tsp Black pepper powder - 1 tsp Ghee - 1 tbsp Water - as required Salt - as required
- Wash the dal in cold water till water runs clear. Drain and keep aside.
- Peel the onion but leave as whole.
- Peel the garlic clove, and give it a light smash with the flat side of a knife.
- Wash the spinach leaves well and roughly chop.
- In a deep pot, add washed dal, turmeric powder, asafoetida, onion, and garlic.
- Add enough water so that there is about 1-inch of extra water on top of the dal.
- Cover and cook on high till it starts to boil.
- Once it starts to boil, bring heat to low and simmer till the dal is cooked. Should take about 10-15 mins. If it starts to look too dry, add more hot water and continue simmering.
- Once dal is cooked through, add chopped spinach, pepper powder, and salt as required.
- Mix well and cook on medium high for about 2 minutes till spinach is cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small pan, heat the ghee.
- Add mustard seeds and wait for it to crackle.
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter for a few seconds.
- Remove from heat and add this to the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice, chapati, etc.