Serves: 3-4 Ingredients: Onion - 2 medium Tomato - 2 medium Potato - 2 large Peas - 1/2 cup Ginger paste - 1/2 tbsp Garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp Desiccated coconut - 1/4 cup Turmeric powder - 1 tsp Red chili powder - 1 tbsp Garam masala powder - 2 tsp Fennel seeds - 1 tsp Oil - 3 tbsp Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp Water - as required Salt - as required Other vegetables: Green beans Cauliflower Carrot
- Finely chop onion.
- Blend tomato into a coarse paste. Do not add water for blending.
- Boil the potatoes. Peel and chop into 1-inch cubes.
- Wash and chop any other vegetables being used into bite sized pieces.
- Soak the coconut in water for 10 mins, then grind into smooth paste.
- Finely chop coriander leaves.
- Heat oil in a deep pot.
- Add fennel seeds and let it splutter for a few seconds, taking care not to let it burn.
- Add onion and saute till it gets golden brown. Add salt to speed up cooking. Should take 3-5 mins.
- Add ginger and garlic paste. Saute till raw smell goes for about 2-3 mins.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Mix well, and add a tbsp of water to prevent powder from burning. Saute till oil starts to release from sides. Should take 2-3 mins.
- Add blended tomato, and a little salt, and fry well. The tomato should turn from light pink to a deep red color and release some oil from sides, otherwise it is not cooked through. Should take 6-8 mins.
- Add any uncooked vegetables along with a little salt and cook them in the tomato gravy with a few tbsp of water.
- Add boiled potato and mix well.
- Taste and add salt as required.
- Add the coconut paste along with enough water to make gravy of desired consistency.
- Let the mixture boil on high for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, dosa, roti, etc.