Possible improvements for next attempt inline.
Ingredients: Chicken drumsticks - 6 Buttermilk - 1 cup Salt - 3 tbsp Hot sauce - 1 tbsp Thyme - 1 tbsp Oregano - 1 tbsp Garlic powder - 3 tbsp Chili powder - 3 tbsp Turmeric powder - 1 tsp Bread crumbs - 1/2 cup Flour - 1/2 cup Egg - 1 Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mix together buttermilk, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, turmeric powder, hot sauce. Buttermilk substitute – 1 cup whole milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Decrease garlic, increase salt and chili powder.
- Don’t add buttermilk. Add chicken and coat with masala first.
- Add chicken and rub mixture in well.
- Pour buttermilk on top and shake to let it touch all chicken pieces.
- Increase lemon juice in buttermilk.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2hours up-to overnight.
- Beat egg and oil in a dish.
- Mix breadcrumbs, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1/2 tbsp thyme, and 1/2 tbsp oregano in a dish.
- Breadcrumb coating is very crumbly, flour coating much better.
- Mix flour and the same seasoning as for breadcrumbs in another dish.
- Skip oregano and thyme.
- Reduce garlic powder, increase salt and chili powder.
- Coat the bone end with more flour.
- Remove chicken pieces from buttermilk and drain excess liquid.
- Blot with paper towel to remove excess liquid.
- Possibly coat with the masala from step one before flour?
- Experiment with different batches:
- Three pieces – Flour -> Egg -> Breadcrumbs (not very good for chicken. Skip)
- Two pieces – Flour -> Egg -> Flour (best coating)
- One piece – Flour -> Buttermilk -> Flour (batter slips off when cooking. Skip)
- For each layer, make sure to coat well and shake off any excess liquid or flour before next coat.
- Rest the coated chicken for 5-10 min before cooking.
- Arrange in airfryer and cook for 12 mins at 350F.
- Cook for 15 minutes before trying to flip. Batter falls off otherwise.
- Open and flip the pieces to other side. Cook for another 10 mins at 350F.
- Open and shake basket, then cook for another 12 mins at 350F.
- Remove from basket and serve hot with ketchup.