Serves: 4-5 Ingredients: Potato - 2 large Onion - 2 medium Green chili - 4 Curry leaf - 5-6 Garlic clove - 3 Mustard seeds - 2 tsp Urad dal - 3 tsp Oil - 2 tbsp Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp Coriander leaf - 2 tbsp Water - 3 cups Salt - as required
- Wash and boil the potatoes.
- Chop onion into long strips.
- Slit the green chili length-wise but keeping them as one piece.
- Peel garlic and press down on it to smash it a little.
- Finely chop coriander leaves.
- Add oil and mustard seeds to pot .
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add urad dal and roast till golden.
- Add onion, green chili, curry leaves, and garlic. Fry till onion becomes translucent. Should take 3-5 mins. Add salt to speed up cooking.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add water and bring to boil.
- Add potato and mash well. Some pieces can be left as lumps depending on preference.
- Add extra water if you want a more liquid dish.
- Taste and add salt as required.
- Cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with poori, chapati, dosa, etc.