Makes: 1 Fish Ingredients: Whole fish [Pomfret/Pompano] (~500gm) - 1 Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp Red chili powder - 2 tsp Lemon juice - 3 tsp Oil - 2 tbsp Ginger paste - 1 tbsp Salt - as required
- Descale, clean and wash the fish thoroughly. Remove the fins and gills, leaving the head and tail intact.
- Using sharp knife, make 3-4 long slashes about 1/2-inch deep on both sides of the body.
- Mix all the other ingredients into a thick paste.
- Coat fish fully with the mixed paste, making sure to coat the gashes.
- Cover the fish and marinate in the fridge for up-to 30 mins.
- Spray oil on a pan or grill. This will make sure the fish skin doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Put the fish on the grill and place in the oven in middle rack.
- Cook the fish in one of the following ways:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Bake each side for 12-14 mins, flipping the fish once in between.
- Increase the temperature to 425 F and cook for another 2-3mins on each side to make the skin crispy.
- Broil on high for 10-12 mins on each side, flipping the fish once in between.
- Broil will crisp the skin, so there is no need for further cooking.
- Make sure the fish is fully cooked by looking at the flesh inside the gashes. It should look white and juicy and come off the bones with very little effort.
- Serve hot as is, or with yogurt dip, or as a side with rice.