Serves: 2-3 Ingredients: Chayote - 1 Oil - 2 tbsp Dried red chili - 2 Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp Urad dal - 1 tsp Channa dal - 1 tsp Mustard seeds - 1 tsp Curry leaf - 4-5 Onion - 1 Green chili - 2 Ginger paste - 1 tsp Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp Grated coconut - 1 tbsp Water - as required Salt - as required
- Peel the chayote, chop in half to remove the seed, then chop into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Finely chop onion and green chili
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and wait for it to crackle.
- Add urad dal and channa dal and wait for it to start turning golden brown.
- Add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chili, and curry leaf. Let it crackle for a few seconds but make sure not to let it burn.
- Turn heat to medium and add onion and green chili and saute till onion turns transparent. Add a little salt to speed up cooking. Should take 3-4 mins.
- Add ginger paste and saute till raw smell goes. Should take 1-2 mins.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add chayote and stir till all pieces are coated with the masala.
- Add salt as required.
- Add a few tbsp of water and mix well. Cover and cook on medium-low till chayote is cooked. Stir well every few mins to avoid burning, adding water if it looks too dry. This is a dry recipe so don’t add too much water, just enough for the vegetable to cook. Should take 8-10 mins.
- Add coconut and mix well. Cook covered for 3-4 mins.
- Remove from heat and serve hot as a side with chapati, rice, etc.