Makes 15-20 vadas Ingredients: Bengal gram - 3/4 cup Roasted Bengal gram - 3 tsp Rice flour - 1 tsp Green chili - 4 Onion - 1 Fennel seeds - 2 tsp Water - as required Salt - as required Oil - enough to deep fry Optional Variations (any one at a time): Vazhaipoo - 3/4 cup Spinach - 1 cup
- Soak bengal gram in water for 45-60 mins.
- Finely chop onion and green chili.
- Chop the vazhaipoo if using and keep soaked in a mixture of 1 cup water and 1 tbsp of yogurt.
- Wash and finely chop spinach leaves if using.
- Pulse the bengal gram without the water, roasted bengal gram, and fennel seeds in a food processor into a coarse mixture. A few whole pieces is expected. Make sure to not add any water. If the mixture is too dry and not getting ground, add 1-2 tsp of water and grind.
- If using vazhaipoo: remove half the ground mixture and keep aside. Add the vazhaipoo to the food processor with the remaining mixture and give it a few pulses.
- Combine the ground mixture with onion, green chili, rice flour, and salt. Mix in chopped spinach if using.
- If you are using airfryer to cook, mix 2 tbsp of oil to the mixture now.
- Make small flat patties with about 1 tbsp of the mixture in each.
- Fry them in any of the below methods:
- Hot oil:
- Heat oil in a deep pot. To test if hot, add a drop of the mixture in the oil. It should start bubbling up and float to the top.
- Once oil is hot, add the vada patties in one by one making sure not to over crowd or overlap.
- Fry until the bottom starts looking golden brown and flip the patties to cook the other side. 4-6 mins per side.
- Once both sides look a deep golden brown, remove from oil and place on napkin to blot the excess oil.
- Air Fryer:
- Lightly coat the wire in the air fryer basket with a little oil.
- Arrange the patties in one layer in the air fryer basket.
- Set the temperature to 400F and cook for 7 minutes.
- Open and shake the basket gently.
- Close and cook for another 7 minutes at 400F.
- Let it rest in the airfryer for a few minutes.
- Hot oil:
- Serve hot on its own or with coconut chutney or other side of your choice.