Serves: 2-3 Ingredients: Basmati rice - 2 cups Grated coconut - 3/4 cup Onion - 1 Green chili - 2 Dried red chili - 2 Mustard seeds - 1 tsp Cumin seeds - 2 tsp Urad dal - 2 tsp Bengal gram - 2 tsp Oil - 2 tbsp Water - as required Salt - as required
- Soak coconut in some water for 10 mins. Grind into a smooth paste.
- Wash rice till water runs clear and keep aside.
- Chop onion finely.
- Cut slits on the green chili.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add mustard seeds and wait for it to crackle.
- Add urad dal, bengal gram, and cumin seeds. Roast till it turns golden brown.
- Add onion, red chili, and green chili. Fry till onion becomes translucent. Add a little salt to speed cooking. Should take 3-5 mins.
- Add washed rice and mix well.
- Mix water and ground coconut to get 3.5 cups of liquid.
- Add to the pan and mix well.
- Taste the broth and add salt as required.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle on high, then simmer on low heat for 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and wait for pressure to settle.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve hot with raita or side of your choice.