Serves: 3 Ingredients: Tomato - 2 small Tamarind - 1 tbsp Garlic clove - 3 Curry leaf - 3-4 Coriander leaf - 1 tbsp Salt - as required To Grind: Toor dal - 1 tsp Black pepper whole - 1 tsp Cumin seeds - 1 tsp For Tempering: Oil/ghee - 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 10 mins. Mash well till extract is released and throw away pulp.
- Finely chop tomato and 1 garlic clove.
- Finely chop coriander leaf.
- Coarsely grind all ingredients under To Grind.
- Add tamarind water, tomato, chopped and whole garlic cloves, curry leaves, salt, and ground mixture into a pot and mash together a little.
- Simmer on low heat till raw tamarind smell goes.
- Add 1.5 – 2 cups of warm water and simmer on low till a foam forms on top. Remove from heat – do not let it boil.
- In a separate pan, heat oil/ghee.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle.
- Add this to the rasam pot.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot as a soup, or with rice.