Serves: 4 Ingredients: Small pearl onion - 6 Tomato - 2 Toor dal - 3/4 cup Turmeric powder - 1 tsp Red chili powder - 1/2 tbsp Tamarind whole - 1 small piece Salt - as required Water - 3 cups Vegetables (optional) - 1 cup - Snake guard, drumstick, radish, raw mango etc For Tempering: Curry leaves - 3-4 Mustard seeds - 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp Urad dal - 1 tsp Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Wash toor dal till water runs clear and soak for 10-15 mins.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Add dal, 1/2 tsp turmeric, asafoetida, and 2.5 cups of water to a pressure cooked. Cook on high for 1 whistle, then simmer on low heat for 5 mins before removing from heat. Let the pressure release fully on its own. Keep aside.
- Peel onion, and chop in two if too big else leave a whole.Keep aside
- Finely chop tomato.Keep aside
- Cut vegetables as appropriate: radish in thin rounds, drumstick in finger length pieces, snake gourd in small pieces, mango in small pieces, etc. Keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp in a saucepan.
- Add items under For Tempering and wait for them to crackle.
- Add onion and fry till translucent. Should take 2 min.
- Add tomato and saute till mushy and oil seeps out at sides. Should take 4-5 mins.
- Add turmeric, chili powder, and salt as required, mix well. Add a few tbsp of water so powders don’t burn. Fry till well combined and oil seeps out. Should take 2-3 mins.
- Add vegetables. Add just the water from the cooked dal as required, and cook fully. Time depends on vegetable used.
- Add cooked dal and mix well. Cover and let it boil for two minutes.
- Mix the tamarind in the water till all extract is released. Filter and keep just the liquid.
- Add the tamarind liquid little by little to pan, tasting till desired sourness is reached. Add salt as required. Cover and boil for 2 mins.
- Mix well and serve hot with rice, dosa, idly, etc.