Makes 8-10 dosa Ingredients: Uncooked rice - 1 cup Toor dal - 1/2 cup Bengal gram - 1/2 cup Dry red chili - 4-5 Fennel seeds - 1 tbsp Curry leaves - 6-7 Sugar - 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder - 2 tsp Mustard seeds - 2 tsp Oil - 1 tbsp Asafoetida powder- 1 tsp Onion - 2 small Salt - as required Water - as required
- Wash rice, toor dal, and bengal gram till water runs clear. Soak in water for at least 2 hours (or also overnight).
- Finely chop onion. Keep aside.
- Grind together soaked mixture, red chili, fennel seeds, curry leaves, sugar into a coarse mixture. The batter should be thick and coarse, but spreadable so add water carefully.
- Add turmeric powder and salt as required.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and wait for it to crackle.
- Add asafoetida and fry for 10-15 seconds. Remove from heat and add to batter.
- Add onion to batter and mix well.
- Heat a dosa pan.
- Spread batter as thin or thick as you like. Cook on medium flame for 2-3 mins on both sides.
- Serve hot as is, or with jaggery, or any chutney of your choice.
Note: You can save the ground batter in the fridge for 3-4 days without adding mustard seeds and onion (steps 3-5). Add them fresh to required batter as and when needed and use.